Žižka Square with the Town Hall shortly after Niklas's 1876 reconstruction
Description:
Renaissance houses on the square, demolished after 1890.
Digital reproduction from an 8 × 9 cm glass collodion negative; photograph taken before 1890.
The west side of Žižka Square changed constantly around the turn of the century. After the Town Hall was reconstructed, Renaissance houses nos. 3 and 4 were demolished, and in 1894–1895 a savings bank with a richly decorated facade and roof was built in their place. It soon fell out of step with contemporary taste and was considered too tall and ostentatious. In 1914 it was altered to its present form to a design by Professor Theodor Petřík.
Automatic description:
The broad historic square is shown shortly after the alteration of the town hall, whose tower and articulated gables stand at the left. A fountain or low water basin and several scattered pedestrians occupy the open cobbled space, with a vehicle farther back. A row of low Renaissance and Classical town houses forms the western frontage.
This is automatically generated preview from raw scan. The quality of automatically generated previews might vary. The images are scanned in 16-bit depth and high resolution and it is possible to tune them, retouch the scratches and make details. See the galeries.